Alex S. HalbachPartner
Alex S. Halbach
Alex Halbach is a native of Lyle, Minnesota. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in political science with a minor in business economics from South Dakota State University in 2007, graduating magna cum laude and with honors college distinction. While at South Dakota State University, Alex served as the Students’ Association President and was active in Student Government.
Alex continued his education and received his Juris Doctor and Master of Business Administration degrees from the University of South Dakota School of Law and the University of South Dakota Beacom School of Business in 2010.
While in law school, Alex served as the Alumni Development Graduate Assistant as well as the American Bar Association representative for the University of South Dakota School of Law. Throughout law school, Alex worked as the Research and Development Coordinator for Youth Enrichment Services, Inc., now the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Sioux Empire, and served as the Executive Director for the South Dakota Student Federation.
Alex held a summer internship with Cutler Law Firm, LLP in 2009, and joined the firm as an associate after graduating from the University of South Dakota in 2010. Alex became a partner with the firm in 2015.
With experience in both business and law, Alex practices primarily in the area of non-profit, business and corporate law with an emphasis on business organizations and transactions, real estate, intellectual property and non-profit law. He also practices in the area of family and domestic relations law assisting business owners through complicated divorces involving businesses and complex real estate holdings.
Alex believes in the importance of community involvement and currently serves on the Board of Directors for the South Dakota State University Alumni Association; EmBe, where he serves on the Executive and Finance Committees; the Sioux Falls Board of Historic Preservation; and the Co-op Natural Foods, where he serves as President; and the Friends of McKennan Park Neighborhood Association where he serves as the Treasurer.
- South Dakota State University (B.A. Political Science with a minor in Business Economics, magna cum laude, with Honors College distinction, 2007)
- Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester, Great Britain
- The University of South Dakota School of Law (J.D., 2010)
- The University of South Dakota Beacom School of Business (M.B.A., 2010)
- South Dakota (2010)
- United States District Court – South Dakota (2010)
- Minnesota (2012)
- United States District Court – Minnesota (2018)
- American Bar Association
- South Dakota Bar Association
- Second Circuit Bar Association
- Minnesota Bar Association
Areas of Practice
- Agriculture Law
- Banking & Financial Services Law
- Business Organizations & Transactions
- Construction Law
- Domestic Relations & Family Law
- e-Commerce, Internet and Cyber Law
- Real Estate Law
- Telecommunications, Utilities & Energy Law
- Trademark & Copyright Law
- South Dakota State University Jackrabbit Advocates
- South Dakota State University Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Sioux Falls Food Co+op Board of Directors; President
- EmBe Board of Directors; Executive Committee; Finance Committee; Chair
- Sioux Falls Board of Historic Preservation; President
- Friends of McKennan Park Neighborhood Association Board of Directors; Treasurer
Recent Articles & News
Cutler Law Firm, LLP is pleased to announce that Eric E. Erickson will become a partner with the firm as of January 1, 2018. Eric Erickson joined the firm as an associate in 2013. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in political science with a minor in business...
Cutler Law Firm, LLP is proud to announce that it has signed a lease in Equity Square on the corner of 8th Street and Phillips Avenue in downtown Sioux Falls. Cutler Law Firm, LLP will occupy the 4th floor and a portion of 3rd floor in the newly redeveloped office...
Cutler Law Firm, LLP is pleased to announce that Alex S. Halbach was named a partner with the firm as of January 1, 2015. Alex Halbach joined the firm in 2010. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in political science with a minor in business economics from South...
Every December, Prairie Business Magazine recognizes some of the most inspiring young business professionals in the northern Plains with a list of the top 40 professionals under the age of 40. After receiving over 200 nominations for Prairie Business Magazine’s Top 40...
Cutler & Donahoe, LLP attorney Alex S. Halbach was recently featured in the Argus Leader's Q&A Section. Halbach practices in the area of business and corporate law. The full article and online link is included below: Question: What’s the best part about your...