Joseph P. HogueAssociate
Joseph P. Hogue
Joe Hogue joined Cutler Law Firm, LLP as an associate in 2013. He is a native of Sloan, Iowa, and graduated with high honor from Michigan State University in 2000, earning both a Bachelor of Arts in Accounting and a Master of Science in Professional Accounting. Following graduation, Joe worked for a large accounting firm for ten years, where he had the opportunity to travel extensively to serve his firm’s domestic and international clients.
Joe graduated magna cum laude from Thomas M. Cooley Law School in Grand Rapids, Michigan, in 2013. While attending law school, Joe completed judicial externships for both a federal bankruptcy judge and a federal magistrate judge. Additionally, Joe volunteered at the Michigan State Appellate Defender Office and the Ottawa County Legal Self-Help Center and was actively involved in law student organizations, including participating in two national moot court competitions and serving as managing associate editor for the Thomas M. Cooley Law Review.
Joe’s practice consists primarily of assisting clients with business and real estate transactions; forming and developing businesses; reviewing and drafting contracts; and enforcing creditors’ rights. Joe’s clients range from individuals to small- and mid-sized businesses, and touch numerous industries, including food production, real estate management, construction management, and financial services.
Outside of the office, Joe enjoys playing basketball and golf, coaching youth sports, and traveling. Joe and his wife, Amy, have two young sons, Jacob and Elijah.
- Michigan State University (B.A. in Accounting, with high honor, 2000)
- Michigan State University (M.S. in Professional Accounting, 2000)
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 2013)
- South Dakota (2013)
- United States District Court for the District of South Dakota (2013)
- American Bar Association
- South Dakota Bar Association
- Second Circuit Bar Association
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- American Bankruptcy Institute
Areas of Practice
- Business Organizations & Transactions
- Banking & Financial Services Law
- Creditor Rights
- YMCA Youth Basketball Coach
- Ask-a-Lawyer – Call Center Volunteer
- Boy Scouts of America – Volunteer Leader
- Free Legal Answers – Volunteer
- Junior Achievement – Classroom Volunteer
- Volunteers of America, Dakotas – Board Member
- Youth Basketball Coach (YMCA, Big Sioux)
Recent Articles & News
The Evan C. Nolte Leadership Sioux Falls program is designed to meet the community's need for active participation of informed and dedicated community leaders since 1986. Each year, the curriculum is developed with the idea of creating an integrated, total experience...
Cutler Law Firm, LLP is pleased to announce that 8 of our attorneys were recently selected as either Super Lawyers or Rising Stars to the 2018 edition of Great Plains Super Lawyers. Attorneys selected as Super Lawyers are ranked in the top 5% of practicing attorneys...
Cutler Law Firm, LLP attorneys Alex Halbach and Joseph Hogue recently volunteered at the South Dakota Ask-A-Lawyer, a program sponsored by the South Dakota State Bar Association, and was held on May 1 - 3. During the event, South Dakota residents from around the state...
Cutler Law Firm, LLP is pleased to announce that Eric R. Matt has joined the firm as a business and estate planning attorney. Eric was born and raised on a dairy farm in Quinn, South Dakota. He earned a Bachelors of Business Administration, summa cum laude, from the...