Kent R. CutlerPartner
Kent R. Cutler
Kent Cutler is a native of Sioux Falls, South Dakota. He graduated from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas in 1988, with a degree in political science and history. Kent received his law degree in 1991 from the University of South Dakota School of Law.
Following law school, Kent returned to Sioux Falls and established a private law practice. In 1997, he joined his father, Rich Cutler, in founding Cutler Law Firm, LLP, which has grown to one of the largest law firms in South Dakota. Super Lawyers has recognized Kent, beginning in 2014 through the present, as one of the top 5% of South Dakota litigators. Over the course of his career, Kent has 15 cases reported by the South Dakota Supreme Court and 3 cases reported by the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, many of which are regularly cited in legal briefings.
Kent is the President of Recreational Adventures Co., which is the largest Kampgrounds of America (“KOA”) franchisee, with 15 campground properties spanning the northern tier of the United States from Astoria, Oregon on the West Coast to Annapolis, Maryland on the East Coast. Kent also manages and develops his family’s commercial land holdings in the Sioux Falls real estate market.
Over the years, Kent has served on many community and charitable committees including the United Way. Kent currently serves on the Sioux Falls Development Foundation Board of Directors and Executive Committee, the Sioux Falls Airport Authority Board, and the Sunnycrest Village Board of Directors and Executive Committee. In addition to his community and charitable service, Kent serves on the Board of Directors of Enercept, Inc. which is a leading manufacturer of structural insulated panel systems (SIPS) used in construction of energy efficient residential and commercial projects.
Kent and his wife, Carolyn, have two children of whom they are very proud. Their son Dylan, currently manages the Mount Rushmore KOA/Palmer Gulch Resort, and their daughter Katie, is completing her clinical rotations through the University of Nebraska to become a licensed physician’s assistant. In their free time, Kent and Carolyn enjoy golfing, skiing, traveling, and spending time at their lake home.
- Poppen v. Walker, 520 N.W.2d 238 (S.D. 1994)
- Ricker v. Leapley, 25 F.3d 1406 (8th Cir. 1994)
- Hurney v. Class, 1996 S.D. 86, 551 N.W.2d 577
- United States v. Estrada, 85 F.3d 365 (8th Cir. 1996)
- Setliff v. Akins, 2000 S.D. 124, 616 N.W.2d 878
- Brown v. Sandals Resorts, 2000 DSD 14
- Sandner v. Minnehaha Cnty., 2002 S.D. 123, 652 N.W.2d 778
- Hofeldt v. Mehling, 2003 S.D. 25, 658 N.W.2d 783
- Nelson v. Schellpfeffer, 2003 S.D. 7, 656 N.W.2d 740
- Reuben C. Setliff, III, M.D., P.C. v. Stewart, 2005 S.D. 40, 694 N.W.2d 859
- Virchow v. Univ. Homes, Inc., 2005 S.D. 78, 699 N.W.2d 499
- Melford Olsen Honey, Inc. v. Adee, 452 F.3d 956 (8th Cir. 2006)
- Johnson v. Lebert Const., Inc., 2007 S.D. 74, 736 N.W.2d 878
- Dakota Indus., Inc. v. Cabela’s.Com, Inc., 2009 S.D. 39, 766 N.W.2d 510
- Gail M. Benson Living Tr. v. Physicians Off. Bldg., Inc., 2011 S.D. 30, 800 N.W.2d 340
- Black Hills Surgical Physicians, LLC v. Setliff, 2014 S.D. 68, 855 N.W.2d 407
- Zerfas v. AMCO Ins. Co., 2015 S.D. 99, 873 N.W.2d 65
- Stern Oil Co., Inc. v. Brown, 2018 S.D. 15, 908 N.W.2d 144
- Matter of Helen Rodine Tr., 914 N.W.2d 560 (S.D. 2018)
- Peska Properties, Inc. v. N. Rental Corp., 2022 S.D. 33, 976 N.W.2d 749
- Southern Methodist University (B.A. Political Science and History, 1988)
- University of South Dakota School of Law (J.D., 1991)
- South Dakota (1991)
- United States District Court for the District of South Dakota (1992)
- United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit (1992)
- American Bar Association
- South Dakota Bar Association
- Second Circuit Bar Association
- South Dakota Trial Lawyers Association
- Super Lawyers – Business Litigation (2014 – Present)
- America’s Most Honored Lawyers – Top 10% (2023)
- America’s Top 100 Attorneys® in South Dakota
- The Best Lawyers in America (2024)
Areas of Practice
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Civil Litigation
- Construction Law
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
- Workers Compensation
- Wrongful Death
- Downtown Rotary Club (1995-present)
- South Dakota Achieve Foundation Board (1996-2002)
- Sioux Empire United Way Board of Directors (2002-2008)
- Avera McKennan Hospital Foundation Board (2006-2010)
- President, Minnehaha Country Club (2005)
- First United Methodist Church Finance Committee and Staff Parish Committee
- President, Lincoln High School Booster Club (2012-2013)
Recent Articles & News
Congratulations to the Cutler Law Firm, LLP attorneys selected for inclusion in the 2023 Great Plains Super Lawyers list. The list recognizes the top 5 percent of the attorneys in South Dakota, North Dakota, Iowa and Nebraska. The selection is based on attorneys who...
By Brendan (Bo) F. Pons and Michael D. Bornitz The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is meant to be a festive week of riding motorcycles, attending concerts, shopping, and having an all-around fun time. No one goes to Sturgis expecting to get into a motorcycle collision or...
Cutler Law Firm, LLP is pleased to announce that 8 of our attorneys were recently selected as either Super Lawyers or Rising Stars to the 2018 edition of Great Plains Super Lawyers. Attorneys selected as Super Lawyers are ranked in the top 5% of practicing attorneys...
Cutler Law Firm, LLP attorney Mike Bornitz recently published an article in the South Dakota Trial Lawyers Association's newsletter titled Medical Records Requests Using the HITECH Act. The text of the article is included below. Like many of you, we have received...
SiouxFalls.Business recently featured Cutler Law Firm's recently renovated space in a piece presented by Interstate Office Products. In the article, Cutler Law Firm partners Kent Cutler and Alex Halbach talk about the new space and some of the challenges associated...
On February 22, 2018, a rural South Dakota jury returned a $900,000.00 verdict for Cutler Law Firm, LLP Attorneys Michael Bornitz and Sam Krystosek and their client in a car collision lawsuit. The plaintiff, a construction contractor, was injured when a commercial...
Cutler Law Firm, LLP attorneys Kent Cutler, Mike Bornitz and Kim Wassink were successful in challenging the circuit court’s decision in Stern Oil Company, Inc. v. James Brown d/b/a Exxon Goode to Go and Freeway Mobil. The case involved a breach of contract action...
Cutler Law Firm attorneys Kent Cutler and Kimberly Wassink received a favorable ruling from the Supreme Court of South Dakota, affirming the trial court’s grant of summary judgment in their client’s favor. In a unanimous decision filed on December 16, 2015, the Court...
Richard Cutler, Kent Cutler, and Steven Sarbacker have been named to the 2015 Great Plains Super Lawyers list
Cutler Law Firm, LLP attorneys Richard A. Cutler, Kent R. Cutler, and Steven J. Sarbacker have been named to the 2015 Great Plains Super Lawyers list. Each year, no more than five percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by the research team at Super Lawyers...
Sioux Falls, SD - Cutler Law Firm, LLP attorneys Kent Cutler and Kim Wassink recently prevailed on a motion for summary judgment in a first party insurance case. Plaintiff sued her automobile insurer seeking uninsured motorist benefits on behalf of her spouse, who...