Trent A. SwansonPartner
Trent A. Swanson
Trent Swanson joined the firm in 1999 and became a partner in 2004. Trent was raised on his family’s farm in the Chamberlain, South Dakota, area. He graduated from the University of South Dakota in 1995, with a degree in political science and a minor in business administration. He went on to graduate from the University of South Dakota, receiving both his Juris Doctor and Master of Business Administration degrees in 1998. While in law school, Trent served as a member of the law school’s Moot Court Board.
Trent was admitted to the South Dakota Bar in 1998 and the Minnesota Bar in 1999. In 2000, he was admitted to the United States District Court in South Dakota. After completing law school, he served as a law clerk for what was then South Dakota’s Fourth Judicial Circuit. Upon completion of his clerkship, Trent joined Cutler Law Firm, LLP. Trent is currently a member of the South Dakota Bar Association and a member of the American Bar Association.
Trent’s primary areas of practice are in the fields of real estate and business organization and transactions.
Trent and his wife, Lynn, have a son, Matthew, and a daughter, Megan. He actively volunteers his time on various boards and committees at his local church. Trent enjoys hunting, running and all types of outdoor activities, as well as spending time with his family.
- University of South Dakota (B.S. Political Science with a minor in Business Administration, 1995)
- University of South Dakota Beacom School of Business (M.B.A., 1998)
- University of South Dakota School of Law (J.D., 1998)
- South Dakota (1998)
- Minnesota (1999)
- United States District Court for the District of South Dakota (2000)
- American Bar Association
- South Dakota Bar Association
- Second Circuit Bar Association
- Martindale-Hubbell BV®DistinguishedTM
Areas of Practice
- Agricultural Law
- Banking & Financial Services Law
- Business Organizations & Transactions
- Construction Law
- Real Estate Law
- Junior Achievement of South Dakota (2004-present)
- Abiding Savior Free Lutheran Church in Sioux Falls, South Dakota (President, 2005-2006; Chair of School Ministries, 2009-present)
- Boy Scouts of America Pack 711, Harrisburg, South Dakota (Den Leader, 2010-present)
Recent Articles & News
As has been widely reported by local media outlets, Mill’s Fleet Farm is coming to Sioux Falls. In a development project with Lloyd Companies, the 185,000 square foot facility will be located within the Sanford Sports Complex, at the corner of E. Benson Road and...
Cutler Law Firm, LLP is pleased to announce that Eric R. Matt has joined the firm as a business and estate planning attorney. Eric was born and raised on a dairy farm in Quinn, South Dakota. He earned a Bachelors of Business Administration, summa cum laude, from the...